Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My first blog...Hmmm...Wimpy...

So, I'm taking online classes through San Jose State University. I want to be a children/ YA librarian when I grow up. One of my assignments is to create a blog about tweens and the materials they are interested in. Kind of exciting because it gives me a reason to get back to reading and away from checking up on Perez Hilton and Facebook for countless hours. There's a valuable lesson to be learned here I think. Anyway, I feel like I'm supposed to say something profound for my first blog, but I'd rather go with my train of thought right now instead...I was a bit disturbed yesterday when I saw online that one of my favorite tween books, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, has been made into a movie. On a side note, so has How to Eat Fried Worms. Anyway, for those of you who have read Jeff Kinney's series of books you probably know how funny, witty, and sometimes disturbing they are AND they're written and illustrated in a way that makes it enjoyable for tweens, teens, and adults. An easy read. So, yes, it has made its way to the big-screen and judging from the preview....? My initial reaction is, "Ewww, boring." But maybe after a few more viewings I may change my mind....maybe. Take a look.

http://www.wimpykid.com/
http://www.diaryofawimpykidmovie.com/
http://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-reviews/diary-wimpy-kid



1 comment:

  1. So nice first post. I remember how excited I was when Golden Compass was announced, and when I saw it as the credits rolled I announced very loudly "You have got to be kidding me." in a completely disgusted tone Everyone in the theater laughed. Now whether it was because I was so loud or because they were thinking the same thing I don't know. I did however completely embarrass the kid with me.

    ReplyDelete